Thursday, December 9, 2010

Creating my own myth

This morning I was volunteering with kids at Eagle Mount and I was tying one girl's ice skates; another volunteer says to the girl, "You have a great smile, where did it come from?" She responded, "I dooooon't know" and I figured what better time than now to create my own story?
I started off by basing the myth off of one I heard in Escramble a movie by Volcom Entertainment; in the movie Gigi Ruf explains how the earth came to be in Austrian mythology. I started, "Well a smile originated when an eye corn rolled down the cheek of a young girl, not so different than yourself." While in Austrian myth the eye corn falls off the chin of the man and slowly forms into the world. A tear drop then falls off the mans face onto a mountain creating snow. But anyway...I continued, "as it rolled down her cheek she thought of the beauty she saw in the world arching her cheeks as the corn rolled across shaping her mouth into a smile." While this is not a great mythological story compared to Ovid's numerous stories it was one that reminded me of how myth is in our daily lives and if we play with the idea of myth it becomes fun. Especially when working with kids because their imaginations are much more fantastical than ours (or at least mine) and I think it is important to show them through stories; something they are interested in. Being an atheist I tend to steer clear of religion when working with children and this is where myth is able to capture their attention because I am able to put meaning in objects that do not necessarily have any.
Anyway this was a great class and as Corrin's blog states many of our classmates taught me just as much as Dr. Sexson. Blogging is a great way for us to share our thoughts, especially for students who do not speak up in class but have great ideas. So thank you 'mates and I look forward to having class with you in the future.

A few photos that make me smile:

Hebgen Lake

"The Wall" in Hampton, NH

View of the Bridgers from a road to the Crazies.

No comments:

Post a Comment